You already know that drinking enough water is vital to good health. But, water can be so…boring. Get you some water that can do both: keep you healthy and taste awesome. One of our favorite ways to turn water from “meh” to “ooh” is with some innovative infusions. Adding refreshing fruits and herbs to your flavorless water can help you stay hydrated and add extra nutrients. Check out these fun infusion recipes that will have you reaching for your bkr bottle all day long.
Here’s your first lesson in making water infusions: do not add chunks of fruit or herbs to your bkr bottle (we all remember Carrotgate, right? When a toddler jammed a carrot into a bkr so hard the whole community was weighing in on how to get it out? If not, stop everything you’re doing and start following our insta stories, stat). Our bkrs have been designed with a smaller mouth for a better, no-spill water drinking experience. We’ve all been there—innocently sipping water in the car and, oh perfect, the motion of the car mixed with the bottle’s wide mouth has left your shirt soaked in water. Don’t worry! We’re prone to spilling too, which is why we made the opening the way it is.
But, this means it’s a little tricky to get any added ingredients out of your bottle if you’re making infusions. Solution: our fun, tube shaped silicone ice cube trays. Here’s the trick: You’re going to make your infusion first and then pour and freeze it in our trays that were created to be the perfect shape to slide your ice right into your bkr bottle. This will help release the delish infusion into your water slowly and maintain the flavor for a longer time, keep your water cold, and make it super easy to clean your bottle after (just throw it in the dishwasher).
Our Favorite Water Infusions
- Green Tea Ginger — This infusion is our go-to when we’re in need of a detox because green tea and ginger already have detoxing properties and tons of antioxidants. Brew a cup of green tea and add finely grated ginger. Let it cool before pouring into your ice tube tray.
- Lime Mint — Inspired by a classic mojito (minus the booze), this refreshing infusion is the perfect drink to sip on detox days. You’ll get that same satisfaction from this summery concoction without the sugar (and the massive headache that comes along with it). Add lime juice and chopped up mint to a little bit of water. Stir well and then pour into the ice tube trays and let them freeze before adding to your bkr spiked water bottle. It actually tastes the same even if your bkr isn’t spiked, but the spikes make a virgin drink feel like more of a party.
- Cucumber Lemon — Cucumber and lemon almost seem like they were made to be added to water. This infusion is so delicious and the perfect cleansing water for clear skin. Packed with antioxidants, cucumbers have a high level of vitamin-B5, which helps fight acne, and they can help lower blood pressure by increasing your potassium levels. Lemon, on the other hand, adds a tasty citrus flavor while also infusing vitamin C and fiber. Just puree cucumber, mix with squeezed lemon, and freeze. After a sip of this recipe your water, you’ll feel like you just stepped out of the spa—rejuvenated and refreshed.
Strawberry Basil — Sweet meets herby with this recipe that sounds like summer in a glass water bottle. Puree the strawberry and mix with chopped or torn basil and then freeze in your ice tube trays.
- Berry Mint — Same idea as the strawberry basil, but for this recipe, puree your berries (we like a nice mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries), mix with chopped mint, add to your trays and freeze.
- Apple + Plum + Pear + Cinnamon — Okay, enough with summer. When the weather cools down, we crave some of those nostalgic fall flavors like apple and cinnamon. Skip the sugar-loaded apple cider by mixing pureed apple, plum and pear with a dash of cinnamon for an autumn-inspired infusion.
- Pineapple Mint — Pineapple is honestly kind of an underrated infusion when it comes to making your water more exciting. We love the combo of the pineapple’s citrus sweet flavor and the mint’s refreshing coolness. Puree the pineapple, add bits of mint and add to your ice trays.
Let Your Taste Buds Live a Little
I think we can agree that even for those of us who love drinking water straight up, it is relatively unexciting because it tastes like, well, nothing. If you’re at all bored en route to meeting your daily hydration goals, get out of your own way and try some of these recipes. And if you’re thinking “this is me,” but you don’t have an ice tube tray yet, here’s a link to our cute selection of water bottle accessories to get you started. Happy sipping, bkr fam.